Google+ Followers

Sunday, January 1, 2017

2016 in review

Happy New Year everyone. 2016 is finally over and 2017 has just began. Did you make any resolutions? I didn’t because resolutions rarely stick. On January 1st we all have good intentions but by the end of the month, by the end of the week or even on January 2nd those plans are abandoned.

I did, however, hear an appealing statement. I watched the movie “New Year’s Eve” on New Year’s Eve and there someone said ... “What would you do if you knew you wouldn’t fail?” … well, I knew what I would do, do you? I’m going to finish a manuscript. It’s been a year in the making, every day (or just about) I plan to write, but too many distractions get in the way. So, this year I plan on getting less distracted, write more and type the words “The End” on that manuscript.

Personally, I’m not the least bit sorry to see the end 2016. It was a bad year, the worst ever. Let me give you a quick run through …


Dieter (my son) was arrested for assaulting a subway station official. All that happened was that Dieter’s shoulder bumped into the guy’s shoulder, but he made a big deal about it and thus Dieter got arrested and charged.


Chanel, our 13-year-old cat got sick and was diagnosed with kidney disease. She was put on a special diet, she got a little better, but we knew she lived on borrowed time.


Chanel passed away, or as I like to think of it, crossed Rainbow Bridge.


Nothing happened, or if it did, I’ve forgotten.


The charges against Dieter were dropped. After the assault charges we went through months of anxiety and had to fork out $5,000 on a retainer fee for a lawyer, but when the case went to court, the subway station official had a change of heart of dropped the charges.

Also in May I had a bit of an accident. A tin of pineapple fell on my foot. It hurt like hell and it took weeks to heal but fortunately nothing was broken.


Shortly after an annual mammogram, I received a call that a lump was found in my right breast. More anxiety as I first had to wait for the biopsy and then the result of the lab. When I eventually got the results I was diagnosed with breast cancer.


I had surgery. The lump was cut out and some lymph nodes were removed to determine if the cancer had spread. Fortunately, that was not the case.


Charlotte had to be taken to the vet. She was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection. She got antibiotics and soon got better.


I started radiation. Every day, for 16 days, I had to go to the Princess Margaret hospital for treatment.


I finished the radiation treatment and was officially declared as a cancer survivor.


I developed a boil. It started out as something barely bigger than a pimple, but it grew to the size of a cherry. When it didn’t go away by itself as hoped I had to go see a doctor. He suggested antibiotics or surgery. Since I’m a big believer of cutting things out that don’t belong in a body, I opted for surgery. The doctor warned me that the anesthetic would be very painful. This sounded strange to me as an anesthetic usually don’t hurt, but in this case, it did. Holy crap did it hurt, it was like to boil caught fire. After that it was smooth sailing, the surgery was completely painless.

Also in November I lost two friends. The first due to a difference of opinion, the second after my Facebook account was hacked.


An uneventful month, just the way I like it.

And so now it’s January 1st. Do you wonder what the year has in store for us? All we can basically do is keep breathing in and out and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment